Friday, June 16, 2006

Delectable Dosas

Old hotels in Malleswaram may lack fanfare in their ambience and décor, but foodwise, they more than make up. The first place that comes to mind is Veena Stores, which I described in an earlier post. Last fortnight, myself and a friend had planned to go to CTR (Central Tiffin Room) for breakfast. But since we had eaten there umpteen times, we went to the newly opened Food Court on 10th Cross. Masale Dose was nice. But felt the price was too high. And moreover the staff were not customer friendly. While coming back, my friend packed Masale Dose for his mom from CTR. She liked CTR Dose, but not the place as she felt it was unimpressive looking. I faced the same problem with my girlfriend (now my wife) who just felt CTR was not the place where lovers met. And ate. Initially, I really had tough time making her even enter CTR. After seeing a few foreigners and my NRI relatives eating there, she became a regular client and now has no hassles coming to CTR for a Benne Masale. CTR is a part of what I like to call Old Bangalore, a place with a unique and gentle charm and unhurried pace. It has allowed time to flow around it and is not affected by the passage of time. So, if the service seems a tad slow, it is because of this rather than any laxity on the part of the staff. CTR is the best place to eat Benne Masale Dose. Period. They are heavenly bliss. It is a nondescript looking place that, surprisingly, has a board that reads ‘Shree Sagar’ in Kannada outside the hotel but retains the price board inside with ‘Central Tiffin Room’ written on it. It is situated on 7th Cross, at the corner of Margosa Road. I love the old pendulum clock and the Bhagavadgita sayings that is hung on one side of the wall. The furniture has that old world look to it. So is the Cash table on which is placed a small lit ‘Deepa’ and ‘Oodhinakaddi’. There is a ‘Family Room’ too but most prefer to sit in the main hall. CTR is open for just a few hours in the morning between 6.30 am till 12.30 pm and in the evenings from 4 till 8.30 pm. Unlike Janatha Hotel, which is closed on Wednesdays, CTR is open on all 7 days of the week. I have introduced many of my relatives and friends to CTR. After getting the taste, the ‘Initiated’ have been more regular to CTR than the ‘Initiator’. I remember once a friend of mine had eaten 13 Benne Masales as a challenge. As for the dosas, they are a lovely golden brown. The texture is crisp on the outside, soft on the inside. The flavour is yummy, all dosa and butter. The potato palya is wonderful -- well cooked, with the right mixture of spice and flavour. CTR gives two types of chutneys, unlike his competitors. One is the regular Kai-chutney. And the other is Karibevu chutney, which has a tinge of sour. The chutney is obviously the fruit of years of experience. The hotel is located at such a perfect place surrounded by Malleswaram Grounds, Malleswaram Club, 8th cross, Malleswaram Cooperative Bank, KC General Hospital and the Malleswaram Circle Bus stop surrounding it. No wonder the place is always crowded. I know some loyal customers who have shifted to other parts of Bangalore but still make a religious visit to See-Tee-Aar! At peak hours, if you are lucky, you get a table immediately. Otherwise, better stand next to the person having his coffee or who has just finished eating his Benne Masale. CTR's competence lies in its dosas. The Idlis and Vadas are passable. For a company to survive and thrive in competitive times, they must be the best in one thing; for the rest, they can be up to average market standards. So it is with this place. Follow it up with coffee and go away smiling at having experienced a piece of history. This really is the stuff of legend. Let me not talk more about it. Try it, to believe it!

CTR Noorkaala Baalali (May CTR live for 100 more years)

Last week, my friend’s mom broke her ‘Vratha’ when she ate at CTR for the first time. Myself and my friend were there too. And no prizes for guessing who persuaded her to eat there!

Design: RK

32 Comments:

Blogger Shruthi said...

Bellur, what is this? Please post just two times a week or something... I have a huge backlog of your posts to read... each time I feel I am now up to date, I get tons of work, and you put up ten posts more :D -- yeshto odakke aagilla :((( That too you write on topics which seem interesting. Topic nalli interest illa andare bere thara - i can coolly ignore it. But I feel like reading the posts. And no time. Sigh!!!

6/16/2006 07:38:00 PM  
Blogger RK said...

Shruthi, Welcome back. Aaraamagi odhri, no hurry.

6/16/2006 07:57:00 PM  
Blogger Praveen Krishnan said...

Hi,

Nice Blog. I like writeups about my favourite place Bangalore and if it is Malleswaram, it makes it all the more delightful reading. I will keep a tab on your blogs henceforth. I am not sure whether you have read this, but I too had composed an entry on CTR. Check it out on http://whowrites.blogspot.com/2005/11/masala-dosaithe-most-i-miss.html

and the other on on Malleswaram is at
http://whowrites.blogspot.com/2006/04/malleswarammy-life.html

Read them and identify the places :-)

Keep writing,
Praveen

6/16/2006 08:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Namaskara,
AA food court eduru"venkateshwara" hotel antha dose hotel idhe. I think they are next to vidyarthi bhavan in taste!.
Alle KODIYAL antha south canara items siguththe. Chennagiruththe!

6/17/2006 12:38:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey rami mama

all these blogs about food make my mouth water!

love
Amrutha

6/17/2006 02:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, ok, that's two savoury dishes you've mentioned now. Let's get onto the REAL food, i.e. sweets, which i know you have a hankering for.

6/17/2006 06:02:00 PM  
Blogger RK said...

Praveen GK: Very good write-ups on Malleswaram and CTR. Thanks for visiting & keep blogging.

Malnad: Will visit Venkateshwara next time to eat Kodiyal!

Amrutha: Hold on lady... till your next visit to Bangalore.

Coup: Well, now that you have given the idea....you can expect one in a few days.

6/19/2006 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger Srik said...

Blogging tooo often is injurious to health :D
I say this 'coz I've missed out so many posts here...
help me by giving a break b/n the posts. pls.

6/19/2006 12:34:00 PM  
Blogger RK said...

Srik: Are you from FBI school of thought? ie. Frequent Blogging is Injurious school of thought? I was taught in school that "not updating your blogs frequently is injurious to others!". ;). Mine was CBSE syllabus. Was yours State/ ICSE syllabus? That's why the difference in opinion!(joking man)

Gangadhar: Thanks pal. Btw, Did you study CBSE syllabus?;))

6/19/2006 02:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bellur,

I had CTR dosa just last week...Divine !nimma blog odida takshana I felt I hadnt eaten there in ages!...In my house(Combined family of 12), everyone is a fan of CTR Dosa , and any trip to Malleswaram (Translating to Ajji Mane for me) is incomplete without a visit to CTR. Matte I took my friend there, she too was doubtful about the taste looking at the interiors, but one Dosa later, she was a completely different person! It seems she went alone yesterday and had Dosas I heard. She was berating the fact that I instilled the "CTR Dosa Craving" in her. Well, that's CTR for you.

6/19/2006 02:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made a fuss about even entering
CTR, But now I know the dosas there are heavenly! I donot bother about the ambience any more,Its all about taste buds!!!!

6/19/2006 04:33:00 PM  
Blogger RK said...

Vani: Bai-chapala iddorige, CTR antha jaaga thorisbitre, bahala kashta! Sudden-aagi yello Electronic Cityliddaga chapala shuru aadre, theeriskolovaregoo, vaddadbidtheevi. Alwa?

Vidya: Feels nice that I helped you in realising GOD!!! ;)
Yes, CTR means lip smacking Doses. No fancy decor, no brooding waiters, just plain good food!!

6/19/2006 04:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdappa! Barithirovaagle Baayalli
neeru surithide! hey, Rediffnalli "Yearning for the Perfect Dosa?" neevena baredaddu?
With Due Apoloies to Vidyarthi Bhavan Fans, Anyday our CTR is better

6/19/2006 05:44:00 PM  
Blogger RK said...

Vani: You're right.

6/19/2006 07:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one place I have never been to.

This from a guy who has eaten in every gully in Avenue Road (including Kenchamba lodge, UKB) during my school days.. must come over to your neck of the woods one day only to eat at CTR (my neck of the woods is BSK :-) )

6/20/2006 02:40:00 PM  
Blogger RK said...

Vijay, This condition of yours is persisting for too long. I prescribe you a dose of CTR Dosé and Veena stores Idli immediately. 1-1-1 for 3 days! You can pay the fees later.

6/20/2006 03:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time barbeku saar... hane baraha... :-)

By the way another place thats great in Malleswaram is this Sree Shakthi place (dont know if I got the name right). Great chapathis at a good price.

6/20/2006 05:44:00 PM  
Blogger RK said...

Vijay: You mean Sai Shakthi on 8th cross? Heard it is good for North Indian stuff.

6/21/2006 05:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The same... its the only place I can eat North Indian without feeling heavy afterward.

I remember the present owners older brother (an ex-army guy) started this place in the early 70's. It was right on Sampige Road at that time.

Their speaciality at that time was Tomato Soup (yes something as simple as that). Remember in '71-'72 there werent many places serving good quality North Indian fare (actually Chappati.. Sabji types).

One interesting thing about the early '70's was that was when a lot of Gujurathis came to Bangalore from Africa (when they were kicked out of Uganda by Idi Amin). A lot of them set up Chaat joints in areas like Seshadripuram, Rest House Cresent, and Jayanagar... Do you remember any of that? Or maybe it was before your time.

By the way check out my latest post on Iyers Lunch Home in Mysore..

6/21/2006 05:41:00 PM  
Blogger RK said...

Read about Iyer's. Good place. i have been there.
And regarding Chaat joints, yes, what you have mentioned is before my time. But I have been to the places in the areas you have told. You get really great stuff at Seshadripuram, Rest House Cresent, and Jayanagar. Not to forget Sajjan Rao circle. I can write an exclusive post for that!! Alwa?

6/21/2006 06:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There you go.. maybe we can start a food only blog :-) ha ha

But seriously I intend to visit CTR in the next couple of weeks !!

6/21/2006 06:57:00 PM  
Blogger RK said...

I want to have the pleasure of hosting you at CTR. When shall we plan for the "attack"?

6/21/2006 07:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the offer, I accept.. what time of the day is convinient for you? Weekeday/Weekend... preferences?

6/21/2006 07:38:00 PM  
Blogger RK said...

guru, nin e-mail id kotre, bhala olledu. mundina kaaryakrama mailalli plan madona. idnna odhi aamele ondhu dodda dhandu bandre kashta!! nija alwe?

6/21/2006 07:51:00 PM  
Blogger RK said...

sorry for using ekavachana. kshamis bidi saar.

6/21/2006 07:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RK no problems ....
Nimma rediffmail address ge email kalisiddini... (got you ID from the comment you posted)

6/22/2006 09:22:00 AM  
Blogger RK said...

Vijay: Thanks.

Gangadhar: DUS was a good comment!

6/22/2006 03:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ನಮ್ಸ್ಕಾರ,
ನಾನು ಜನತಾ ಹೋಟೆಲು ಚೆನ್ನಾಗಿರುತ್ತೆ ಅನ್ನ್ಕೊಂಡೆದ್ದಿ
ದಿ ಜಿ

6/29/2006 06:53:00 AM  
Blogger Shruthi said...

Wow!! Nice post! Benne Masale.. kelidarene baayalli neeroorutthade... long long time since I went to CTR. Have to go sometime soon :)

6/29/2006 10:58:00 AM  
Blogger RK said...

DG: Janatha hotel Dose quality has come down. Sometimes Dose
'Seesbidthaane'. Vade-Sambhar good alli. But Benne Masale andre CTR. Benglurge bandaga banni, hogona.

Shruthi: Yes, the CTR fellow was also telling, why Shruthi hasn't come for a long time antha! Better go soon.

6/29/2006 11:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well written, RK. CTR is my fav. place too.

7/17/2006 10:55:00 AM  
Blogger RK said...

Vijendra Rao: Welcome Sir, and thanks for dropping by. Do visit again.

7/17/2006 12:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home